History of First Parish Preschool
The First Parish Preschool was established as a kindergarten in 1949 by the Women’s Alliance of the First Parish Church. The school was established as a cooperative one with parents working in the classroom daily.
With the advent of public kindergarten in Norwell in 1973, it became a Prekindergarten school known as First Parish Nursery School. The prekindergarten classes still have an optional cooperative program. In 1982, the nursery school added the present-day playgroup, preschool, and discovery programs. In September of 1990, we moved into our present facilities with rooms for the prekindergarten, preschool, playgroup, and discovery classes. We also added our indoor recess room for inclement days when the children cannot use our playground.
In 2004, the school changed its name from First Parish Nursery School to First Parish Preschool to reflect the changing trend in the field of early childhood education.